Tuesday, April 27, 2010

My Philosophy of American vs. Ethiopian Work Ethics, Spa Day, and that Darn Volcano

April 20, 2010


Alan was busy all day today, trying to get things organized and put together before we leave for the US. Nadi stayed out in Nazaret again last night, but he will be back tomorrow with the van and will start for Beltu either tomorrow or the next day. Alan had planned to go out looking for an air compressor that he wants to have purchased for Beltu. He got to the place, but couldn’t buy it, because the company rule is that you have to have a request to buy it. Then you go back and get a quote from the business and put it in a sealed envelope, then you have to go get two more quotes in sealed envelopes, then you have to bring the three quotes back to the office and put them in front of the purchasing officer, then he opens the quotes and tells you which one he thinks is best. Then, if you’re lucky you can go back and purchase the air compressor, and hope that it has not been purchased by someone else while you were running around. The problems at the office are many and it is really making Alan crazy. Let’s just say that Ethiopians don’t get uptight or worried about too much. They’re pretty content to just take their time about everything and they don’t understand why we Americans have time schedules and want things to be efficient. It’s a constant battle.

Today I met with Chombe’s wife who took me to the Hilton spa for a spa treatment. They had wanted to get together with Alan and I last night, but we couldn’t. So Chombe volunteered his wife to come get me and go spa together. Actually she ended up leaving me at the spa, after she showed me around. I had access to a steam bath, a hot shower, a sauna room, a massage, and a tea room, oh, and ice cold water with fresh limes. I admit, I really enjoyed it. However, because I don’t speak the language, I didn’t understand that I needed a swimsuit to enjoy all the amenities, so I couldn’t go into the Jacuzzi, because the only suit I had was my birthday suit. Darn it, I was looking forward to the Jacuzzi. But I did get a massage – a habesha massage. That means all over, legs, feet, toes, arms, chest, buttocks, back, neck, fingers, and forehead. It took about an hour and I enjoyed it! Particularly, because she didn’t actually massage my chest, just all around my chest area, if you get what I mean. She put on some relaxing zen-like music, lowered the lights, and went to work. It was pretty fun, and I’m sure they get lots of forenjees there who need to be pampered after roughing it out in the bush. I was totally convinced afterward that we need to send some maids up here to learn to massage and then bring them back to the farm so that I can have a massage every week.


Chombe’s wife came back at 4:00 and took me to the guest house where I got packed and ready to go to the airport. Alan came, got ready and at 9:30 Joe came and took us to the airport. All day long Alan had been checking the internet to see if our flight was scheduled or had been canceled. All indications said we were going. When we got there, we were told by an employee that the Frankfurt flight would bypass Frankfurt and go to Brussels. They only gave us a few minutes to make up our mind what would be best to do. Alan called Christopherson travel, not Char, but some other person, who advised us to stay in the country and work with Ethiopian airlines to get us out. We decided to stay put and try to get out on a later flight, but now in retrospect, we should have left and taken our chances in getting from Brussels to Frankfurt for our flight home to Denver and IF. I’m kicking myself for not pushing Alan harder to get out of here and I’m mad that I’m not on that flight to Brussels. Craaaapy Volcano!!!! I feel a meltdown coming!

April 21, 2010

I should have been home today, but I’m still here in Addis, and not in the best of moods. We have gone over to Ethiopian Airlines office and told them to schedule us for getting to Frankfurt as soon as possible. They have put us on the list of people to call in case they can finally land in Frankfurt. We know that Frankfurt has opened up to let flights in and out, but they are overcrowded and are only letting in flights from their most important customers. Ethiopian Airlines doesn’t rate so high on the list is my opinion, and so they don’t get to fly into that busy airport. This is only what I think.

Today a worker, Adam, was at the office when I was there. He came over and sat down by me and told me how much he likes Alan. He said Alan is very serious and likes to work. Yes, I knew that. He said Alan works works, works, and wants everyone around him to work hard too. Hmmmm, imagine that. He definitely wanted me to know that he likes Alan and thinks highly of him.
OK enough about working – we’re not going home today or tomorrow! I'm depressed.

1 comment:

sri said...

Hi Alan & shelley,

Iam Srihari living in california
i read your artical about your farming adventure in ethiopia very interesting.I am also very impresed and to do farming in ethiopia wanted to meet and contct you.
pl give me your email address /phone # to contact you for little more info how to reach there and lease some land.
Regards,
srihari,
408-718-1732.
sanipini@hotmail.com