Monday, April 19, 2010

April 18, 2010 - We are coming home!

Hello Everyone!

It's so nice to get up here to Addis where there is a somwhat reliable internet service. The last week we didn't have any communication from outside Beltu area and it was frustrating. You don't realize how much you rely on the internet until it isn't available to you anymore. Someone, in the dark, walking through our yard probably tripped over the cord pulling the internet modem off its place. When they discovered the modem on the ground, it was not working anymore. But now I'm here in Addis where I can read your emails and send some of my own.

The volcano erruption in Iceland has really made us worry about getting home. Bracken is supposed to fly tonight at 11:50, but his flight is cancelled as of now, and he doesn't even know when he'll even be leaving. I can't check anyone's blog, because I think that up here in Addis they are blocked. Darn, I love to see the blogs. Fortunately we have been able to talk to Morgan and Grandma and Grandpa Baum on the satellite phone this week, so that is good. Today the weather is mostly cloudy and I expect it to rain. Alan has been in meetings all day today with financial officers and purchasing departments. He is getting frustrated at how this operation gets bogged down, because of our miscommunications mostly. Everything is so green and beautiful here in Addis and the temperatures are very mild. Even though it is gray outside, it is still warm enough for me. However, I do see that a lot of the local people here get very cold if it is cloudy and rainy. They're not used to dealing with harsh weather conditions.

Today I went out with Tedi, a driver for the company and Nadi, a finance clerk and teacher who works with us on the farm in Beltu. Nadi traveled from Beltu to Addis with us yesterday. We went out to purchase fresh fruits and vegetables to send back to the farm with Nadi when he goes. I first went to Bambi and then to Friendship which are more American type grocery stores. After that, we went and found some souvenirs to take home with us.  As we wove in and out of traffic I felt that several times we were going to collide with another car or mow down a pedestrian. Amazingly we got to the stores and back without any mishap. I had to just sit in the back and try not to gasp or scream as we tore down the streets and darted in front of other drivers. The driver told me there is no electricity for the lights to operate. I asked him if this was common, and he said “yes, they never work.” Too funny! You honestly don’t stop at any intersection, you just go through honking.

Last night when we got here I had a hot shower! I’ve not had one in over a month. We all felt happy to go to bed clean. When I awakened in the morning I felt like I had been unconscious for 10 hours. When I get home to the states, I will blog and tell details about the last 10 days. And I should be able to get a lot of pictures too. We’re excited to see friends and family, and really good food. We were counting on going out to eat after our arrival, but then we realized we don’t fly into IF until 11:00 p.m. on Wednesday night. Just wanted to let everyone know we are well and happy. Thanks for sending emails to us. We love them!

2 comments:

JoAnne said...

Hi Shelley,
Hope your flight home went ok and was not delayed. I would love to come and talk with you when you get home so you can tell me all about it. Give me a call when youa re free...356-7113 or my cell 589-8126...Enjoy your hoemcoming !! JoAnne Haws

julie said...

Hi Shelley! Mom just informed me of your blog, and Mandy and I have enjoyed what we've read tonight. She can really relate to the no hot showers! I'm glad she's home, and glad you're able to come home for a spell, too. Your blog of experiences is amazing. Good luck in your travels.
Love, Julie