Saturday, March 27, 2010

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Thursday, March 25, 2010

I thought the plane was coming on Friday from Addis and I was truly disappointed when I found I was mistaken and it will come on Saturday. I need some female company and not with the maids. I like them and think they are cute, but I need someone who can relate to what I’m going through. We are supposed to be moving into the other house tomorrow. Good thing because this one is too small for all of us. Val said everything would be ready except the bathroom. That means I have to go next door for my bathroom breaks. Hopefully they will get it plumbed soon. I’m a little concerned about the kitchen sink in my house. I don’t see any pipes sticking up out of the floor for draining. Hmmm, I hope this doesn’t mean I don’t get a kitchen sink. Alan and I would like to get a garden area ready at the back of our house. Anyone who knows us knows that gardening is therapy for both of us. It is too dry to plant now. It has only rained once since my arrival. Today Alan is taking me for a ride. I don’t know if we’re going in a tractor or the Land Cruiser, at this point it doesn’t matter to me. At home I used to laugh when Alan wanted me to go for a ride with him in a tractor, now I really want to go in anything. We’re going to see the water point (springs) and something else. I need to also go to the east a little ways and see one of the round houses up close. So far I haven’t dared go too far without company and maybe when Alyssa and her mom come we will be able to venture out together.

Clair Jackson brought over a box of plastic beads and he gave it to me. I got it out this morning. It has several types of alphabet beads and then some colored beads . I decided to make necklaces for the girls who are maids and they were very thrilled. Thank you Donetta! When I gave Birka her necklace she threw her arms around me and said “Hi lof yew Shelley!” When Ysriba saw Birka’s necklace she clapped her hands and jumped up and down and said something I think meant “I want one too.” Anyway, they all got a necklace, and then they had to go show them off. I had one man who came up to me a little later and demanded one for himself. I said “NO, only for pretty girls.” He said “Men are pretty, me pretty.” I laughed and said “No only for girls.” Then Zakir the boy who tends the monkey, wanted one for the monkey. I said only for the girls.” They are love anything that is a beautiful or colorful or just new and exciting. The beaded necklaces were a big hit.

I didn’t get to go on my ride to the water point. The land cruiser came from Addis and is was full of all kinds of things that Alan had to check. There were a few household goods, but mostly food for Mark and farming things. Alan ordered three 20 meter chains with hooks, and instead of getting them he got a three meter chain with no hooks. Communication is so difficult here. He’s getting so frustrated he just might blow.

We did go and look at the house that is abandoned. We took pictures of us standing by it. I didn’t really want to go in it. They stand up sturdy sticks in the mud in a circle and then weave other sticks in and out till it makes a pretty sturdy wall. Then they mix dirt, dung and water together and plaster it into the wall. The walls are smooth on the outside. The roofs are thatched and then have a cute little wispy thing up on the top. The doors are about four feet high so you have to crouch to get inside. There was even a little basket like thing at the back of the house I don’t know what for.

No comments: