Tuesday, March 23, 2010

March 23, 2010 - Shelley

Just to let you know approximately where I am, if you look on a map of Ethiopia and find the capital of Addis Ababa and go south to the city of Shashamene, then go to the right or east to the town of Robe and keep going east from there to a place called Ginir, then you can't see a road from Ginir, but there is a road and it goes northeast about 90 kilometers and that is approximately where we are. The days are in the 70s and above and the nights are also in the 70s and above. Right now it is 77 and 9:30 p.m. Too warm to sleep. The country that I flew over to get here from Addis is beautiful, but out here not so much. More wht you would think of as "African." Drier, brushy, lots of short stubby trees, and those funny little huts all over. These people are soooo poor. They do know they're poor, but they don't know how poor. Our house is still being built and meanwhile we are living in the first house that was built here. I'm OK with it, however there is no running water, even though I have a sink, shower, toilet, and plumbing. The problem is our well. The well drillers didn't think they needed to go down as far as they do and so they didn't bring the right drill. While drilling with their short drill it got stuck and so they just left. This was about two weeks ago and we haven't seen them since. They left their rig here and are supposed to be coming back to get it out and with a larger drill, but they have such funny attitudes about working here, that it may be a long while before we ever see them again. Meanwhile we are getting our water and goats from a village called Beltu. These people love goat meat, and so do some of the Americans. I wasn't too impressed with my first experience. It was greasy, boney, and gristly. Don't think I'l lbe ordering anymore goat tibbs very soon. I am in charge of anywhere from three to five maids daily. Let me just say that it is like having five Laurels working for me. They are silly, they argue, they sing, and laugh, some are good workers, and one is really lazy. Some are popular and some aren't. I do have two favorites who are sisters named Ashekira and Ysriba. They are both good workers and are fond of me. They like to pet my arms and shoulders and if I let them, they try to get their hands in my hair. I've been having lots of experiences with the people here. Some very good and others very bad and sad. There is an article about Ethiopia in the March 2010 National Geographic. I'm not in that area that it talks about, but I'm seeing things that are not so different.


I miss home and everyone. I miss the US and Idaho. And I really miss good food. The food here is almost nonexistent unless you can stomach goat everyday and injera. I try to make good meals, but it is really difficult. Hope you're all well and safe. We are, but sometimes it is really strange with all the tribal conflict here. Yes, there are tribes and they do not get along. But really, we're fine.

No comments: